The SMMS 6th Grade Beginning Band is made up of 6th Graders, who for the most part have no previous musical experience. During the first week of school we will try all the students signed up for 6th Grade Band on various instruments to see which best suits them.
There will be a Beginning Band Parent Meeting in the GWHS Band Room on Thursday, August 21st, 2014 @ 6:30PM to discuss various ways of getting each student an instrument. If you child already has an instrument please have them bring it the first few days of school to let us look it over to make sure it is in suitable playing condition.
- To give students the experience of performing in an ensemble that requires the self discipline and group discipline that will be beneficial in academic life, and in the work force after formal education is completed.
- To develop an appreciation and love of many varieties of music through utilizing correct performance and behavioral habits.
- To foster a sense of pride in being a student musician at George Wythe High School.
- To develop an understanding of music’s important role in the enrichment of the human spirit.
Beginning Band Parent Meeting is on Thursday, August 17th, 2017 in the SMMS Cafeteria.
The Winter Band Concert is on Tuesday, December 12th, 2017 in the GWHS Auditorium @ 7:00 PM.
The Spring Band Concert is on Thursday, May 3rd, 2018 in the GWHS Auditorium @ 7:00 PM.
The Dress Code for the Concert is:
- Ladies need to wear an all-black dress, black slacks with white blouse, or a black skirt with white blouse. (No print designs on dress or skirt).
- Gentlemen need to wear black pants, black socks, and blacks shoes with a white dress shirt and black tie.